Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cancer and Cleaning Products

Cancer and Cleaning Products: What Do You Clean With? Is it Safe? 

This story was contributed by Erin Zammett Ruddy, writer for Glamour Magazine. I love it when we can help others "make the switch" and give their homes a chemical overhaul and use Shaklee instead!

I love Clorox wipes. I always knew they probably weren't the best...for me, for Alex, for the environment, but I never wanted to let my mind fully go there because I didn't think I could handle one more thing to be paranoid about. Well, last week I went to a little informational meeting about green cleaning products (a mommy friend hosted, there was wine and cheese) and...OMG. No more Tide, no more Pledge, no more Tilex and definitely no more Clorox wipes. Here's why...
I know this probably isn't news to most of you, and, to be honest, it's not news to me (read one of the many stories Glamour has run on the subject) but...the toxins in our everyday cleaning products have been linked to allergies, asthma, neurological problems and cancer. Not to mention what would happen if a child ingested them, not to mention the destruction they do to the environment. Turns out the informational meeting was actually about selling products, so some of the stuff we learned could have been on the extreme side to scare us. But I believe it. And the products actually seem great. Have you guys heard of Shaklee? That's what it was and, yes, I bought some. I'll be getting my starter kit this week and will let you know how it goes.
I do wonder why I didn't make this change sooner. I've been watching my friend Sarah use Seventh Generation everything for years and I guess I was just too lazy to follow suit. Alex has asthma and excema and, well, I have a completely bizarre cancer that was caused by...well, we just don't know. Makes you think. I feel like the least I can do is use organic, healthy and safe cleaning products in my house. Baby steps.

Anyway, What do you clean with? Are you completely green? My new Shaklee products are on the list of recommended products from the green guide. And some more from the organic consumer's association.

No comments:

Post a Comment